Cantel (UK) Medical designs and manufactures a range of specialised medical equipment, trolleys and ancillary items. The organisation also distributes endoscopic accessories and high protection equipment.
As a result of its business operations, the organisation acknowledges its obligations towards its customers, employees and the communities in which it works, and has decided to document its policy in relation to labour standards and for this document to be approved by senior management, specifically the Managing Director
Cantel (UK) Medical define this policy as relevant to the organisation itself, its contractors, sub-contractors, suppliers and other parties engaged through the supply chain.
Scope of Policy
This policy applies to all products manufactured and/or distributed by any part of the Cantel (UK) Medical.
The organisation commits to periodically review this policy in order to continually improve, taking into consideration changes in legislation and any other requirements to which the organisation subscribes. The organisation commits to ensuring the adequacy, suitability and continuing effectiveness of the policy. Specifically, the policy will be routinely reviewed at the Organisation’s Management review meeting and will be integrated into its documented Quality Management System.
Minimum Labour Standards
To assist in defining a set of minimum labour standards, the organisation refers to the following resources:
Social Accountability International SA8000 document and the UN’s Universal declaration of human rights.
These minimum labour standards for the organisation and its suppliers are are:
- Child labour – the organisation does not engage in or support the use of child labour. If the organisation engages any young workers (e.g. on work experience), it will ensure that a suitable risk assessment is carried out and that young persons are not exposed to any hazardous conditions, or work more than 8 hours a day.
- The support of, or any engagement in forced or compulsory labour, or bonded or involuntary prison labour, is not endorsed by the organisation, and employees are free to leave upon reasonable notice.
- Health and Safety – the organisation shall provide a safe and healthy workplace environment and shall take effective steps to prevent potential accidents and injury to employees health by minimising, as far as is reasonably practical, and in co-operation with its employees, the causes of hazards inherent in the workplace. All employees will receive safety and job specific instructions during the course of their employment. Employees shall have access to clean sanitary facilities and drinking water. Responsibility for implementing the Health and Safety element of this policy is assigned to the Quality Assurance and Regulatory affairs manager.
- Freedom of association – the freedom of association is respected and the organisation will comply with U.K. labour relations legislation in this regard.
- Any support or engagement in any discrimination practices in hiring, enumeration, access to training, promotion,termination or retirement based on race, nationality or social origin,caste, religion, gender, sexual orientation, political affiliations, age or other condition that could give rise to discrimination is contrary to the organisation’s business practice.
- The organisation shall treat all employees with dignity and respect. The organisation does not condone the use of corporate punishment, mental or physical coercion or verbal abuse of personnel. No harsh or inhumane treatment is permitted.
- Working hours – the organisation shall comply with applicable laws and industry standards on working hours and holiday entitlements. The organisations normal working hours do not exceed 48 hours a week and overtime hours do not exceed 12 hours a week. The organisation ensures all employees have the legal right to be employed in the U.K.
- Remuneration – the organisation shall comply with national laws and regulations with regard to wages and benefits.
The company also commits to:
- Compliance with all relevant legal and other requirements to which it subscribes
- Make available sufficient resources for the implementation of this policy
The Cantel Policy Statement Related to Slavery and Human Trafficking can be viewed here